Wednesday, June 1, 2011

NYT: Female Magazine Readers Flock to Nook Color

NYT: Female Magazine Readers Flock to Nook Color, article.

Women's magazines are selling like hotcakes on the Nook Color.
A very interesting article which to me show that, more important than the differences between platforms (Nook and iPad), the market is already ready for what I'd call a *real* tablet reading experience, as opposed to the Kindle "old man reading experience", a tiny gray screen which can only show text, for people who think that colors and pictures are for people who didn't finish high school, and who would be a little afraid of reading on a device which is too much like a computer.       :-)

Actually, by the way, I've noticed myself recently really looking forward to the day we get a "super-tablet", like an iPad, only with a much larger screen and resolution. Even as the iPad obviously is a huge leap up when you come from a smartphone screen, it simply is still too small for many tasks, including just most web pages! Not to mentioned technical books, comic books, etc etc.

Here is bubbly "Kate" who helps customers understand what a Nook is:




Update:
TCGirl said:

Funny: "Generically speaking, the iPad and other tablets are men's toys,"
I guess I'll stop dreaming of, someday, owning a Pad! lol! :-/

I think that the Androids like the Xoom are "men's toys", they have capabilities, but are hardly any fun. But everybody loves the iPad, across genders and literally from age 2 to 82. (Lots of two-year-olds actually using the durn thing!) It's just a pleasure to use, and I think *that* is the thing that is *really* hard to achieve, and that probably no competitor will ever match.

7 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Looks nice and fun. :-D It's about time!

Funny: "Generically speaking, the iPad and other tablets are men's toys,"

I guess I'll stop dreaming of, someday, owning a Pad! lol! :-/

Amazing the diff in magazine sales, between the Pad & the Nook Color! LOVE the 2-week trial! That might be part of the success of this thing, as well. (Is that offered on Pad magazines?) Kind of silly how difficult it is "hooking up" w/Apple, all the way around...even in getting a magazine edition! Yikes!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, it's too bad, I hope Apple turns that around soon.

I think that the Androids like the Xoom are "men's toys", they have capabilities, but hardly any fun. But everybody loves the iPad, across genders and literally from age 2 to 82. (Lots of two-year-olds actually using the durn thing!)

Bruce said...

To me, the smaller size and lighter weight of the Nook Color put it in a different category than the iPad. I really appreciate the lighter weight. Will the NC fit in a purse? That would make it more appealing to women, as most men don't carry purses.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, good point. I think that the iPad is a good compromise in size, but what I'd really like is a super-light 6-inch iPad and a... call it... 14-inch iPad, both of them with high-rez screens. I guess in due time, both will appear. Or at least tablets like them.

Bruce said...

I think a smaller iPad or a larger iPod touch would be a good move by Apple. We'll see in October I guess.

X-Large iPad? That might be heavy to hold. I would want a built in stand that worked in a lot of different situations.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Oh yes.
Even the present one needs support for prolonged use.
I use a bookstand for it, that's excellent.

Anonymous said...

Visit any other tablet forum and you would get a better grasp of the demographics. You would be more correct if you had said if women like Apple products, they'll get an iPad. My wife turned down a free iPad from her father waiting on her first tablet later this month. Plain and simple, people will buy what feels comfortable to them, not fall so neatly into categories.