Friday, September 2, 2011

Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested

Dell Streak's Gorilla Glass screen: torture tested, video.
Maybe it won't be long before we won't have to be so careful with our tablets in general. Since they basically have no moving parts, the glass is the most vulnerable part currently.
It's interesting that on the video you can clearly see the glass bending under the attack, I wonder if it's really glass or some new kind of super-tough plastic. Update: nope, it's glass.  Weird how it took so many years for it to become widely used, it's not like the fragility of glass is not a problem. I guess like most things it comes down to price.
BTW, it is also on the iPhone 4, I now see. Kewl, I won't have to be all that careful.
I still wonder how it flexed so much in the video though.

1 comment:

Stephen A said...

Not plastic, just some 40+ year old ingenuous materials science.