Monday, October 24, 2011

Downloading "Steve Jobs"

I just got this in the email from Apple: 


Oddly, I could not find the download either on my Mac or my iPad. But when I clicked the link in the mail, it downloaded fine, so I just had to plug in my iPad and sync it. (To my disappointment (slightly), it turns out that iCloud does not work on Snow Leopard. I doubt there are compelling technical reasons for that.)

Thank god they didn't call it "iSteve, the Book of Jobs" like first announced. Then again calling it "Steve Jobs" is a bit austere. But then again that's perfectly in his style. Austere minimalism.

... Typical: as has happened before with a product I was interested in well before publication, I have just found out I have ordered this books both over iBooks and Kindle. Well, at least it gives me a good chance to compare them. ... iBooks has better controls over fonts and text size, which I find important (as frequent readers will be aware).

... Aaaaand, it is also already out as audiobook! I did not expect that, it does not often happen. So now I've paid for it three times, I hope it's a good book! (It does seem promising so far.)

I like that the writer, and Steve, and Steve's wife, all agreed that this should be a very honest book, and not just a promotional tome. All admit that Steve had his character flaws, and they want people to learn, and learn from, the whole story.

I think I'll go mainly for the audio version, cuz it's not a short book... it's a 700-page book, and 25 hours in audio! That's as long as Moby-Dick. Most books are less than half of that.

3 comments:

TC [Girl] said...

Eolake said...
"So now I've paid for it three times,"

Wowsie, Dudeski! :-0

"I hope it's a good book! (It does seem promising so far.)"

Yeah...me, too! And...glad to hear that it's good, so far! Gotta love my library: they've already got it on order, as well, and...I put a hold on it; I'm "only" 23rd in line for it! lol! (as apposed to the DVD 'Love and Other Drugs' which I am 32nd in line for! lol! :-/

"I like that the writer, and Steve, and Steve's wife, all agreed that this should be a very honest book, and not just a promotional tome."

Yes...damn refreshing! It kind of helps when you've already, um..."exited," though...so you don't have to listen to ALL the whispers that would go on around ya! :-/

"All admit that Steve had his character flaws, and they want people to learn, and learn from, the whole story."

Such a GIFT to the world! If we could ALL publish our life stories like that! I think we ALL have "lessons" to teach the world...whether we are someone as renowned as he or a "peasant" such as myself! :-)

'I think I'll go mainly for the audio version, cuz it's not a short book... it's a 700-page book, and 25 hours in audio! That's as long as Moby-Dick. Most books are less than half of that. "

DANG that is no "brief" audio nor pages! Looking forward to it! :-D

TC [Girl] said...

Hi, Eo...

Broke down and rented 'Love and Other Drugs' (I'm still way down on the waiting list, at the library!) and...gotta tell ya...I thought both Jake and Anne did an amazing job w/their characters. I think you'll really enjoy Anne in this one. There's a few "peek-a-boo" moments...and she looked pretty cute throughout the whole movie. I thought her hair was really cool in it. :-)

Hope you enjoy, when you finally get to it; and...as usual, would love to hear your take on it. :-D

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Saw it. Yes, she was boootiful in it, and I was surprised at the nudity.

It was often funny, and well done. But in the middle when they established that there was no hope for her, I lost interest, I didn't see the point anymore. Where could it go except down?