Tuesday, January 17, 2012

3rd generation cameras are the future?

DSLRs are a dying breed – 3rd gen cameras are the future, article.

Look, I hate to say it! I’ve spent loads of money on DSLRs and lenses for my Nikon. I’m not going to be using any of it in five years.
This is why the first decision is always a big one.  Canon or Nikon.  I don’t really get into that argument.  But, I do agree that once you commit to one, you’ll be buying a lot of lenses and just swapping out the body.  That’s why that first decision is so key — and it is the reason that I won’t buy any more Nikon bodies or lenses — because I won’t be using any of them in the future.

I think he has a lot of good arguments, even if, as he admits, generally the "mirrorless" cameras are not quite up to pro standards in some respects yet. (The Fuji X-Pro1 is a strong move in this direction though.) And it will take some time before such cameras, for example, has the richness of lenses available to them that traditional (D)SLRs have, it's very expensive to develop new lenses, obviously.

It hurts to think of the wonderful and expensive Canon glass I have becoming obsolote at some point. But times and technology march on, and actually Canon L lenses are no longer as exceptional as they used to be, in image quality terms. And they and the cameras are awful chunks to transport.

2 comments:

Stephen A said...

Forget about 3rd generation cameras, they are obsolete out of the box.
Cameras are going to be very relevant but as unrecognisable in 10 years as the present digital cameras would be in 1980.

Light field or plenoptic cameras capture both the intensity and direction of rays the commercial example is the Lytro but this is just the tip of the iceberg, as is the pelican camera, the latest computational imaging systems make that look like kid stuff check this out. or this

Keep in mind that all the components of this technology are improving exponentially with prices dropping like a rock. The camera 10-20 years on may be a tablet sized array of lenses that can dynamically superresolve, refocus and deblur in 3d.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm sure you're right, though I'd hate to bet on just how fast the older tech will go away, that's always tricky. In 2000, I thought that an iPad was rather closer than ten years away.