Thursday, March 29, 2012

Up-rez your web content??

There's a lot of talk recently that the high resolution of the iPad 3 has suddenly made all older pictures and videos obsolete and terrible-looking. It's simply not true. I'm a webmaster, and not only that, my business is selling web pictures! And I have looked at my site on the iPad 3, and it still looks just as good as it always did.
Sure, there *is* a noticeable difference in some aspects, but it's not a difference which leaps out and slaps you in the face. And to me that difference is much more important with text than with images, and with text, the upgrade is automatic, since most text on the web is not bitmapped, but scalable.
(Besides, I don't think there are protocols in place which will prevent images from being way too large for ordinary screens, if we quadruple the area-measurements of them just for the sake of the iPad 3.)

2 comments:

Will Duquette said...

I don't think the issue is photographs, etc.; it's small graphics (e.g., icons, buttons) used as design elements. These tend to be line graphics of various sorts, and they respond badly to upscaling.

Timo Lehtinen said...

Besides, I don't think there are protocols in place which will prevent images from being way too large for ordinary screens,...

You can easily detect screen resolution and size using Javascript. And where the user has disabled Javascript, just provide a button for selecting between modes.