Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What's a book?

I think the confusion will continue for a while: what is a book? Is it a bound block of paper pages? Or is it the collected ideas contained in the words on those pages?

Here is Rallo Tubbs from The Cleveland Show, taking an oath on "an Amazon Kindle with the Bible loaded on it"...


Even me, a non-Christian, part of me screams: "it's not the same! Heresy!", while another part screams: "it's exactly the same, dummy, the bible is the bible, whether inscribed on paper, on stone tablets, on papyrus, recited orally, or read on an electronic device".

(By the way, do they make non-Christians lay their hand on a bible in US courts?)

2 comments:

Len Edgerly said...

I think you just raise your right hand and swear to tell the truth in U.S. courts, no Bible involved. At least that's what I've seen in Denver courts, when I served on a jury. The new president always has a Bible to take the oath of office at Inauguration. Intriguing post, Eolake!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

"The new president always has a Bible to take the oath of office at Inauguration."

Interesting. That would seem to me to be a bigger issue than wishing a Hindu a Merry Christmas!