Thursday, June 28, 2012

Free textbooks are coming

It is shameful how textbook publishers are taking advantage of their captive market, students, to inflate book prices. But things are starting to happen, this is one of them. I wonder how it'll look in 20 years.




"If you took a course in philosophy or critical thinking at college or university, you paid an average of $70 for your textbook. I think that's too much, especially for students who have to choose between food and the rent, two or three times a year, like a lot of my students. Yet the cost of these books never goes down, because students are a captive market.
So, I've been writing my own textbook, so that my students don't have to buy one. I'd like to expand and improve it and then make it available to the whole world, for free."

No comments: