Tuesday, September 11, 2012

How iPhone 5 Sales Could Prop Up the Entire U.S. Economy

How iPhone 5 Sales Could Prop Up the Entire U.S. Economy, article.

What can you say to something like that? It's a silly world.
And like I said, I have not heard of any new features which would make the iPhone 5, if it's even called that, something to be excited about, and I doubt anybody has. And yet there's a generel frenzy of excitement.
The iPhone 4 was an exciting step forward, the excellent camera, the Retina screen, FaceTime... I really don't see how the next one can deliver anything new like that (apart from 4G). (I could be wrong, that would be very kewl.)

In fact, to be honest, I doubt the iPhone 5 can introduce any technology which to me and many others is as important as the front-light in the new Kindle Paperwhite. If it works like it seems to do, that may be the breakthrough in non-backlit ereaders I have been waiting for, for five years.

2 comments:

Stephen A said...

Paul Krugman and the comments section of his blog has a good discussion of the economics of this assertion.

Personally the lack of anticipated features points to the long term problem Tim Cook and Apple faces. Since the flagship product of the iPhone line is the only product in the line there is considerable risk in "messing with perfection". But on the other hand the lack of any radical new features will considerably dampen the need to upgrade. In time, the potential for decay or overshoot in the face of low-end disruption becomes ever more appreciable.
Worse yet the next cool thing might not even be remotely an Apple product

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, I'm sure glasses will become something.
(may be an issue for us who already wear glasses and don't like c lenses.)

Yes, I hadn't thought of it, but one size iPhone may be over-simplified. After all they do have a couple of sizes of iMac and MacBooks.

I would suggest a 5-inch top model, and a 3.5-inch model which is surprisingly cheap.