Sunday, January 13, 2013

Panasonic 4K 20-Inch Tablet

OK, so this is not intended as an ereader primarily, will surely be a bit expensive and a little on the heavy side (though no more than many laptops). But with the right stand and software it could be used for reading graphics-heavy books in super-high resolution (It is "4K", the new goal for high-def, twice the resolution of HD linearly, four times area-wise.)

 

Of course there's a chicken and egg-situation, there are not many books scanned and sold in such high resolution. But: I know that mainstream comic books now are sold in quite high resolution, and on my iPad I can zoom in a lot and see more detail, so I would like to see how they look on this. (One question is if the Comixology app is or will be made for Windoze 8?)

Anyway, I think there's no doubt that big tablets are coming now, and it would be quite surprising if they do not become cheaper and lighter over the next few years like things tend to do.

3 comments:

Stephen A said...

I'd suspect that unless one is dealing with vector art the source resolution of the comic will be less than that and the results will be interpolated. A standard comic book page at 300 ppi blown up (163%) to that scale will be at roughly 181 ppi while the display is 230 ppi!
On the other hand this would be ideal for viewing 2 page spreads in portrait mode.
You can always use bluestacks to run the android version of comixology.

Also, did you see the 27" lenovo tablet/tabletop? mounted on a drafting table with a stylus and a set of auxiliary tablets (for menus and palettes) this would approach my platonic ideal of a workspace.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

2 page spread is cool.

But I must say that I think that 180 PPI is probably the limit for my vision on such a big screen anyway. I can barely see more detail than my iPad Mini provides, and that is only 163 PPI and from a closer distance.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Anyway, that's all just playing around with it. Perhaps I won't need anything more than a 15-inch tablet for reading/art viewing. But we'll see where things go.

Definitely ten inches is too little for magazine and comics pages. Twice the area would be really nice.